Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Painted Piano


            A while back I ventured out to Fullsteam Brewery to see a local pianist. At the time, all I knew about Tom Merrigan was that he was showing up with paint and brushes for everyone to paint his piano. That was enough for me to venture out that evening.

            Come to find out the architect/pianist also occasionally takes to the streets of Durham. After rolling his piano onto a sidewalk or into an open space, Downtown Durham becomes his stage. Passersby, his audience, while the sound of boogie-woogie blues weaves in and out of the Durham streets and alleys.

            Not only did I enjoy his music at Fullsteam, but was pleasantly surprised to hear about his approach. So much so, that I wrote about it (here) on my agency’s  website. I look forward to the next time that I am downtown and hear the sounds of a piano bouncing off of the old brick buildings.