Friday, March 30, 2012

Pesto


            I have been on this crazy “greens” kick for the past several months. Collards, Swiss chard, kale. Side note: How is it that I have just recently found out about kale! So, I picked up some mustard greens and some turnip greens at the Raleigh Farmers Market. I mean, why not? I just knew that they were greens and interestingly different, but had no idea what to do with them. 
            Elizabeth has made some pretty great pesto on multiple occasions. Knowing that I probably couldn’t top her flavors, I thought I would experiment. While straying from the ordinary with the greens, why not throw sunflower seeds in there instead of your standard nuts? Pesto with mustard greens, turnip greens and sunflower seeds. The greens ended up fulfilling their life long purpose and what started as an experiment ended up being pretty tasty.