Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pollen

Yesterday marked the first day of spring. Yesterday also marked the beginning of my first spring in North Carolina. I have recently had multiple conversations about what to expect from the North Carolina spring and summer with my coworkers. Much of the talk was about the mild winter, the humidity, and about this Okie’s first North Carolina summer.

I couldn’t help but think of my last year in Oklahoma. The beautiful sunsets, the wonderful thunderstorms, the consistent breeze (10-25 mph wind), the baseball size hail, the Icepocalypse, the earthquakes and of course the tornadoes. With all of the conversations there was a topic that I was unfamiliar with…. pollen.

I was warned about the North Carolina pollen, and I was warned about its affect on my black car. To be honest, I took it with a grain of salt… until yesterday. Between running out for lunch, and heading home, I got covered. I got pollinated. I was amazed at the amount of pollen on my car. I turned on the AC and a yellow smoke monster came out of my vents. Lost style. It felt like I shoved a yellow Pixy Stix up my nose.

I am told this is only the earliest stage of the pollen attack. I am told that the pine trees aren’t even in the game yet. Then comes the grass. Hopefully this Okie will make it through unscathed. Knock on wood… but don’t knock on a tree because it is going to rain yellow pollen.