Thursday, September 1, 2011

Running NC

It was a Sunday. October 26, 2008. I laced up a pair of old basketball shoes (that weren’t even mine) that I had in the back of the closet. I took off running down the road. 200 yards later I was doubled over trying my best not to vomit in the road. Lightheaded and gasping for more oxygen than was available, I turned around.

Since that Sunday I have grown to love running. LOVE it. I have run everything from a 5k to a half marathon and everything in between. I dream of the day I finish my first marathon, the process of preparing for that marathon and the resulting pain that is so invigorating. Over the past year I have learned that picking up your life, moving across the country, searching for a new job and beginning that job can have an effect on the routine of running. Unfortunately, as a result, running has taken a back burner to life recently. I aim to change that.

The unique North Carolina races that are available are one of the many reasons that I am ready to wear out another pair of running shoes. Do you want to run down the Atlantic Coast? Through the City of Oaks? Tour downtown Durham on foot? How about start a weekly training run at your favorite brewery? YES! Luckily they are all options.

Let the training commence.