Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fullsteam Brewery


            
             In my humble opinion, COOP Ale Works is a high point in the limited selection of Oklahoma craft beers. On COOP cans you can find an inconspicuous note that reads OK+COOP=AWESOME. I would tend to agree.
 

             Well before I departed OKC, through the magic of the internet and word of mouth, I had heard about Fullsteam Brewery in Durham, NC. As a result, visiting Fullsteam was on the short list of things to do when I first moved to Durham. I was very much looking forward to seeing what was behind the heavy red, sliding door marked with a large, inverted F.

             Stepping through the threshold of the heavy, sliding door I imagined seating to accommodate the crowd of people that overflowed onto the front patio. I was pleasantly surprised to see a ping-pong tournament taking place on two tables. Making the way through the tournament spectators, another room opened up with seating, a stage for performances and a jukebox filled with great music. Half of the music listed was local. To be honest, we played Warpaint just because we could. The back wall was all glass, giving a full view into the room where the magic happens. The large stainless steel brewing equipment almost joins you in having a drink.  


             In the bar area, large chalkboards hang on the brick wall, listing the selections for the day. Southern Lager, Rocket Science IPA and Carver Sweet Potato are reliable fixtures. Fullsteam’s mission is to  “…create a distinctly Southern beer style that celebrates the culinary and agricultural heritage of the South.” Seasonally, Fullsteam offers Summer Basil and Hogwash Hickory-Smoked Porter, in addition to others. You can't go wrong with any of them.

             I have only been able to call Durham home for a short period of time. Nonetheless, I still seem to appreciate something different every time I visit Fullsteam. They feature community foraged beer, utilizing foraged fruits. Pears. Persimmons. For crying out loud, they have basil and tomatoes growing in the alley. If you are hungry at Fullsteam, you have options. Local cheese. Local tamales. Local cookies. The list goes on, yet remains local. One of my favorite food offerings (possibly because for me it is a bit nostalgic) is not necessarily local. “A tribute to the Southern tradition of a RC Cola and a Moon Pie.” Fullsteam carries Moon Pies to accompany their Working Man’s Lunch beer. A new Southern tradition I say. Eat a Moon Pie and feel like a kid again (at least that is what I feel like when I eat a Moon Pie)… Albeit a kid with an adult beverage.

             Fullsteam doesn’t just stay behind the heavy red, sliding door. As well as engaging the community with foraged concoctions, they also partner with community restaurants to create “Beer Dinners”, pairing the proper plate with the proper portion of local beer.

             Initially, I was a little disappointed to leave COOP behind in OKC... Even going as far as bringing some East with me. The disappointment has definitely been replaced by the excitement and pride that I can exhibit in my new hometown brewery, Fullsteam. Cheers.