Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Steamed Mussels

        More often than not, seafood in Oklahoma is either frozen or fried. I enjoy fresh seafood thoroughly, but I realize that having it shipped to land locked states in the center of the country sometimes makes it iffy at best. Fast-forward to the East. This Okie is borderline excited about seafood.

        Elizabeth and I have been talking about shellfish for some time. Wait, rewind…
   
       Liz is the primary reason that I moved 1,200 miles from Oklahoma City to North Carolina. Needless to say, she is a special woman.  She is known on the blog of Jeremy and Kathleen. She has been featured on Apartment Therapy. And she is the Senior Art Director of her advertising agency. Long story short, she is a jewel.

       OK SO GOOD. Elizabeth and I have been talking about shellfish for some time. I did some research, and Liz brought home some ingredients. It must be noted, that the look on her face when she walked in the door was priceless. She was excited about the great day she had had, yet creeping into that look on her face was the fact that she had 2 pounds of live, moving mussels in her hand. Where is my camera when I need it? And then... we steamed some mussels.
      

             
            This is this point where I would like to act like an awesome foodie and give you, in detail, the delicious recipe. Unfortunately, that is not going to be the case. Butter in the pot. Check. Sauté some garlic and shallots. Check. Add chardonnay to the mix. Check. Umm... I guess we add the mussels now? Yes. I was blown away by how simple yet delicious this dish was. It may just be an Oklahoma boy getting acclimated to his new environment, but let me tell you, this environment tastes good.

               Up until this point, I have been a stickler for making sure all images on this blog were mine. To be honest though, Liz’s pictures completely set the scene (and looking at them make me want to eat this meal again). All of the images in this post are hers. And I’ll be the first to say that she takes some sexy food pictures. 
            
              Who knew that some butter, garlic, shallots, white wine and some mussels could make for one amazing meal? Oh, and toast some crusty bread while you are at it. You are welcome.