Friday, May 27, 2011

Wednesday Night

“Hey, are you free Wednesday to…”
“No, I have plans.”

My Wednesday nights have been booked for over a year now. That night of the week a handful of friends gather at Jeremy and Kathleen’s for dinner, drinks and great company. It began with me walking into a house full of strangers and will end with me saying goodbye to some of the best people I have known.

Initially, when I decided to commemorate Wednesday night, I had thoughts of a post with beautiful images of food with local and national beverages sitting next to them. Mouthwatering food descriptions of vegetarian and vegan meals prepared with local ingredients. And proper and improper conversations covering any and all topics. After this past Wednesday, I realized a couple things. 1) I should leave those things to the professionals. 2) As happens now and then, something seemingly small and inconsequential occurs that changes the plans that you thought you had.

            In setting up and trying to take a frame worthy picture, that would accompany me to the East, I hit record on my camera. What resulted was a 7 second clip of everyone…well, just being themselves. When I watched the short clip I got a little nostalgic. The meals have been amazing. The beverages as diverse as they were plentiful. The music, games, cats and a countless number of other things have been enjoyable. I realized though, that moments like the one caught in that 7 seconds is how I will remember Wednesday night.