Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lady Hefner

Those who are familiar with Oklahoma City are most likely familiar with Lake Hefner. A handful of restaurants line the East Wharf providing a nice place to have dinner and watch the sunset. Sailboats and kite surfers dot the surface of the lake. Fishermen line the North dam. Though out of all of the characteristics that Lake Hefner has to offer it is the cyclists, rollerbladers and runners that circle the over 9 miles of paved trails that are the most appealing to me. As a runner, I have spent a large amount of time at the lake and as a result have grown quite fond of it.

I first met Lady Hefner after my running distance outgrew the neighborhood. Soon thereafter, I realized that I was spending more time running at Lake Hefner than I was with any given individual at the time. It was then that she went from being Lake Hefner to Lady Hefner. A Tom Hanks/Wilson relationship began to form and has only grown stronger since. She has always been quiet when I wanted to think and encouraging on the long, hard runs. She has kindly offered me her portable toilets and drinking fountains when I have needed them most. It has been a relationship that I hoped would never end. Unfortunately, we both knew it wouldn’t last forever. Now that we are spending some of our last days together, I try to remind her that it is not her, it is me. Everything will be all right.

             Lady Hefner, I leave you my retired running shoes as something to remember me by. A reminder of all the miles we have shared together.