Sunday, March 16, 2014

Playing In The Dirt

I have been playing in the dirt lately – namely in the front and back yards. Liz and I have decided to cleanse the two before we start adding. No need to be stuck with someone else’s vision. Let’s wipe the slate clean then make it ours. Flower beds have been disassembled. Large stones have been gathered and piled. Many, many leaves have been bagged up and hauled off. And volunteer saplings have been removed – with an axe no less.

My yard tool selection could use some diversity, but in the mean time, I am content with using an axe for everything. Oh, that tree branch that collapsed under the weight of the winter precipitation needs removed. Axe. Those grapevines on the arbor need cut away. Axe. What is that? The whole arbor isn’t your jam. AXE. As long as I don’t have to start congratulating people with high-fours I’m good-to-go for a bit. 

As I hack away at everything, and the neutral colored blanket of leaves and pine needles is pulled back from the yard, it is nice to get a glimpse of what spring holds. Small patches of bright green moss have started to stand out. Previously hidden bulbs have sprouted all over – in the flower beds, along the back of the house, in the middle of the yard – and are blooming yellow and purple. To be honest, I will sometimes come across a bulb, sprout, or blooming plant and save it from the purge by finding a place for it in another area.

In the same vein, I thought I'd get the ball rolling by starting some seeds for the gardens. I found a couple starting kits and seed packets that had made it through the move – including ones that Liz had left from the Clyde Oak urban farm seed collection – and took the opportunity to try to give them a jump-start. Maybe I’m trying to prompt spring weather, or maybe craving fresh vegetables, but if nothing else it gives me an excuse to keep playing in the dirt.