Tuesday, March 18, 2014

For The Birds



When we bought our house last fall I found myself with a greater interest in wildlife in our area, on the trails we hike, and more specifically, in our back yard. My grandfather always seemed to have that type of knowledge. “That’s Bermuda grass.” “That’s a Silver Maple.” It was something I assumed just came with his life experience. And then he would throw in things like “That’s a saber-tooth crotch cricket.”

I have casually looked for books that cover bird species found in North Carolina, but found myself looking for lists more specific to the area. Naturally, there will be coastal species that won’t find their way to Durham. Likewise, birds in the Blue Ridge Mountains may not make their way east. With my own self-imposed specificity I decided to begin compiling my own list of backyard birds.

I have been placing bird feed outside our windows, on the patio, in the feeder, and on the fence. By the time I get back inside there seems to be several birds eyeing the fresh spread. Like an indoor pet I’ve become interested in everything going on outside. Part of it even though only looking out from a window. Excited every time something different is seen. Frustrated when a squirrel, or three, can’t be bothered by attempts to scare it away.

While I’m not sure if this quirkiness comes with age, homeownership, or excessive available time, I have decided to give it a purpose. A personal project of sorts. In addition to identifying the species I see in our yard, I’ve entertained sketching each type. The goal wouldn’t be to get all Audubon on it, but rather to compile a collection of simple sketches for reference. As I accumulate sketches of several species perhaps I will share a few.