Thursday, March 20, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits


How have I never learned to make buttermilk biscuits before now? I grew up with a fear of the combustible breakfast breads. Peel. Peel slower. Slowly now. BOOM! Prepackaged biscuits still, to this day, scare the crap out of me. It is an AM jack-in-the-box. That is not what I want to wake up to.

For one reason or another I have been enamored with making a proper homemade biscuit lately. Maybe it is because I have a bit of time on my hands. Maybe it is the yin to my gravy-obsession yang. Maybe it is because I am channeling my inner southern grandma. Nevertheless, I have recently been committed to figuring out the proper ingredient ratio for comforting, crumbly, buttery, biscuits.

After only my first batch, White Lily self-rising flour was brought to my attention, and highly recommended as the flour of choice for biscuits. Game. Changer. With the search for a great homemade buttermilk biscuit shorter than anticipated, I have found myself seeing what additions work with the recipe. The latest batch had lavender in the mix. It works.

In no way did I reinvent the wheel. I just learned to drive. I look forward to embracing my inner southern grandma. Wait, would that be like giving myself a hug? Regardless, buttermilk biscuits are just a start.