Saturday, June 30, 2012

Impromptu Picnic


The same evening Liz and I had an impromptu date night at Six Plates, we decided that we were going to finally give in and seek out some North Carolina style BBQ (vinegar based as opposed to the tomato based found in Texas, Memphis, and Kansas City). It has been over two years for Liz and just over one for me since we moved to the state. It was overdue for both of us. We decided on Bullock’s upon the recommendation of my coworkers. Connoisseurs or the North Carolina style.

Initially, I had planned to pick m’lady up on my way home from work and have a sit down supper at Bullock’s. As I have found in the past, things don’t always go as plannedBullock’ closes at 8:00 pm. I ended up leaving work at 6:35 pm. 30 minutes away. I was convinced that I could make it. Then I got in my car and the gas light was on. Great. I made a b-line to the gas station to fill up as I ran through the options. “OK, it is 6:50pm. This will happen”, I thought as I hit the gas on I-40 west.

7:20 pm – Stopped at Whole Foods for a personal portion of Bota Box cabernet and two individual bottled beers.

7:27 pm – Called Bullock’s and placed a take-out order for BBQ brisket and pork. Each meal came with three sides so… baked beans, green beans, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit and macaroni and cheese.

7:29 pm – Called Liz. “You know my favorite bar key? Please grab that, a blanket and I will pick you up in five minutes.”

7:38 pm – With Liz in tow, we arrived at Bullock’s to pick up the order. In all of the hustle and bustle, what did I forget? Bullock’s only takes cash. But I got this far! Thankfully, an exception was made.

We parked at Duke Gardens, and carried our North Carolina BBQ and booze to the Asian section of the 55-acre gardens. Sat down (finally), and enjoyed a sunset supper. Sometimes things do work out for the best.