Tuesday, October 25, 2011

North Carolina State Fair


            The last fair I was at was at I saw Boyz II Men during a reunion appearance at the Texas state fair. In second grade, I remember thinking that I was the coolest kid in my front yard as I listened to their cassette tape on my Walkman. That Walkman is long gone and that fair was years ago. 
            Years later, the North Carolina State Fair had a different appeal. Enjoy it for what it is, was my approach. Enjoy the food (without going into cardiac arrest). Enjoy the midway games. Yes, I talked to “The World’s Smallest Woman”. What struck me though, was the livestock and agricultural aspects of the North Carolina State Fair. Some were very familiar. Some were not.

            Tobacco holds a seemingly substantial part of North Carolina’s history. It was interesting to see the plants being grown and also being dried. While I had assumed that all state fairs were the same, it was interesting to see that while the rides, midway games and carnies may remain similar there is a bit of heritage that can shine through at a state fair.