Thursday, October 6, 2011

Durham Farmers’ Market

            We woke up early Saturday morning. I had previously lost a bet with Liz in which I owed her anything she wanted from the Durham Farmers’ Market. We headed downtown so that I could make good on my bet. The seasons had changed and it was pleasantly apparent. There was a comfortable chill to the crisp autumn air. A joyous yet peaceful atmosphere greeted us as we arrived at the Pavilion at Durham Central Park.

            The Durham Farmers’ Market is an all local, producer-only market. All of the vendors are located within 70 miles of the market and sell only items that they have produced. It was nice to see how many vendors and customers there were that morning.

            I love fresh food from a garden, but I am ashamed to say that this was the first farmer's market I've been to. Each of the vendors/farmers we encountered was easy-going, knowledgeable and extremely nice. Not only was there a large variety of fresh produce, but also fresh baked goods, eggs, potted herbs, preserves and fresh flowers. I was pleasantly surprised to see fresh cheese, growlers of Fullsteam beer and a variety of meats including goat and bison. Liz even spotted a couple of local chefs picking out choice ingredients for their menus that day. Walking around wide-eyed and with a smile on my face, I remembered what it felt like to be in a toy store as a kid.

            Liz’s winnings consisted of some crazy-pretty Japanese eggplants and 2 pounds of fresh basil. I ended up with a bag of assorted sweet peppers and some new potatoes. Potatoes like the ones Papa would pull from his garden when I was younger.

            In short, the Durham Farmers’ market was a very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning as well as a great treat to the senses.