Friday, February 21, 2014

Strawberry Milk

I like milk. A lot. I remember, as a kid, my dad going to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk for dinner. He had to return to the store because the milk had disappeared before it was time to prepare the meal. The taste for milk remained into adulthood. Liz just laughed the first time she saw me pour Hershey’s chocolate syrup directly into the half-gallon jug, instead of a glass.

When not using it for gravy, or dunking a cookie into it, my go-to has normally been a large container filled with Hershey’s syrup and milk. I say “normally” because I recently made the mistake of looking at the ingredients. Now, I can look past some less-than-natural ingredients in favor of some tasty flavors, but when the first two ingredients I am adding to my beloved milk are high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup, I have to take a moment to reassess the situation.

In an effort to find a more natural flavoring for my milk, I spiraled down a deep, delicious rabbit hole before emerging pumped to prep a simple strawberry syrup. While I wouldn’t tout it as “healthy”, I would consider it more natural than its store-bought counterpart. In fact, it only has 4 ingredients. Strawberries, sugar, water, and vanilla. Ok, maybe a few more ingredients if you count those that made up the vanilla - vanilla beans soaked in spiced rum. Nonetheless, when combined, reduced, and strained the result is the beautiful blood red nectar of the gods. When mixed with milk, and raised to the lips, the clouds open followed by a chorus of hallelujah.

As Liz succinctly put it, “Mmm, it tastes like melted strawberry ice cream”. “Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries, and the snozzberries taste like snozzberries… We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”