Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Daruma

The little, cockeyed guy pictured above has been keeping me focused lately. He is a Daruma wish doll. A couple of good friends gave him to me as a gift of encouragement as I entered a time of change - ­a shift in my career. I had not heard of the Daruma until I saw one at Hatch, a seasonal pop-up shop in Durham, and have seen them at a variety of places since. I grew fond of the concept as I learned more about the idea behind it.

Traditionally shaped so that they return upright if knocked over, the small Darumas recover as needed and rise to success. The Japanese talisman of good luck involves several steps in perusing a goal or wish. First, the individual identifies a goal, and signifies intent, by filling in one eye. In this instance the goal is to make this career shift successfully. The one-eyed Daruma is then placed in a visible area to serve a dual-purpose. One, as a reminder to keep working towards the goal until it is realized. And two, so the Daruma’s stare can also focus on the goal. Once the goal is accomplished the second eye is filled in. The resulting, two-eyed doll a symbol of accomplishment.

The idea of identifying a goal, and giving it a tangible form has grown on me.  So much so that this little guy has taken on a life of his own. I imagine, when he is not focusing on the goal at hand, he is outside hiking through the grass and hanging out in the trees. I am very much looking forward to filling in the other eye, patting the little guy on the head, and saying “thank you” for all the hard work before setting him free in the wooded, back yard.