Monday, March 11, 2013

Durham's Dinosaur


As a child I was convinced that I wanted to be a paleontologist. How I had dreams of paleontology at the age of four, I will never know (thanks mom and dad). While the dream never came to fruition, I have found that the appeal is still there. After moving to Durham, I was introduced to this video and it reminded me why, as a child, I connected with “a freaking dinosaur”.

Originally part of the Durham Museum of Life and Science’s Dinosaur Trail, built in 1967, the brontosaurus (decapitated in 2009 and since repaired) is the last prehistoric structure that remains. It has quickly become one of my Durham Happy Places.

While the depiction may not be correct by modern scientific standards, it is just right for a boy that once dreamt of dinosaurs. At the end of the day, like Liz pointed out, it is simply a place for “a boy and his dinosaur”.