Wednesday, November 23, 2011

North Carolina Fall Foliage



            Until now, I have never lived in a place where there has been a subtle transition from summer into fall. I am familiar with t-shirt weather, and trees covered in green, abruptly followed by bare branches and a coat requirement. The difference 1,200 miles east makes.

            The highway that I used to drive in OKC, is the same highway that takes me to work each day. I-40 E. Many times, on my way to work, it felt as if I was on a subdued roller coaster; its tracks taking me through a kaleidoscope of fall foliage. With wide eyes, I would have to remind myself to refocus my attention to the highway. Day after day, I half expected to see all of the leaves simultaneously fall to the ground. They didn’t. They only kept changing into bright yellows, oranges and burning reds. Then after several weeks had past, the Japanese Maple in the front yard finally covered the ground in a colorful carpet. First full fall transition, check.