Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cameron Indoor Stadium


We got the pleasure of attending a Duke Basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Something I am quickly realizing does not happen everyday. An institution rooted in basketball excellence, Duke Basketball has a rabid following and facilities that house less than 10,000 spectators at a time. It takes a certain family history, a chunk of change or sheer luck to claim a seat in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Two steps through the door, I turned to Liz and said something to the effect that “it smells like a gym in here”. Yes, considering we were walking into a gym, I was stating the obvious. To me though, it extended beyond simply being perceptive. My nostrils flaired. Synapses fired. Memories from years ago rushed to the surface. It wasn’t a bad smell, but familiar. It smelled like a gym.

Both of my parents coached. Soon after I was born, I was in the bleachers of gyms. Since I could walk, I was running around in gyms. Behind bleachers. Across wrestling rooms. Under volleyball nets. Through field houses. Into locker rooms. And if I was lucky enough to find the door unlocked, launching myself off of a trampoline into the gymnastics foam pit. When I say that it smells like a gym, I say that with a sincere fondness and appreciation. It is the smell developed after many hours, days and years. It is the smell of hard work, sweat and blood. It is a smell you can’t create with any air freshener or candle. Nor is it a smell you can ever get rid of with any air freshener or candle. It is a smell that is hardwired into my mind and my memories.

The game was great. The Carmon Crazies were in full force. And I sat there, in a sea of blue, with a childish grin on my face the entire time.