Thursday, April 26, 2012

Jesus Wept


With the 17th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing last week and the upcoming 12th Annual Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon coming up this weekend I found myself getting nostalgic.

Looking back as a lifelong Okie, the Oklahoma City Bombing shaped the state of Oklahoma and interestingly, if not oddly, became a place of peace for this kid over a decade later. In short, while in college, and as I entered the professional world, the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial was where I would go to find solace.

I would sit and admire the work of an architect who was told that a ¾-inch reflecting pool could not be done in Oklahoma. He proved the naysayers wrong. Side note: that architect reviewed my first year architecture final and tore it to shreds (rightfully so, though I still got an A). That architect would later go on to design the Skydance Bridge in OKC.

In the evening, I would sit with a security guard and watch a single duck, that never learned his lesson, crash and burn in the ¾-inch reflecting pool. It was hilarious.

I started and finished my first half marathon at the bombing site while families that had lost loved ones cheered wildly along the course.

Months before I left Oklahoma, a group of friends and I joined together to run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon relay in the pouring rain.

The list goes on, but at the end of the day, there is a certain amount of strength and peace to be found at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. I continued to visit until the day that I left. Just outside the West Gate of the Memorial stands a statue of Jesus with the words “Jesus wept”. The image is one of the last I compiled before I moved to Durham from Oklahoma City.