Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What’s In A Name?

Born and raised an Okie, I am quickly approaching a big change of scenery. A change of approximately 1200 miles. In thinking about the move, I looked for a way to share my experience with friends and family no matter where I am or where they are in the country. This blog is a result of that.

The title at the top of this page is a nod to two men that I have great admiration for, Simon Herbert and Charles Curtis. People know them as Herb and Charles. Their nearly 40 combined grandchildren, myself included, know them better as Grandpa and Papa. With their lesser-known names, this adventure begins.

Charles Curtis was born and raised in the Ozarks before moving with his family and wife to the Tulsa area following the second oil boom. It was there, after traveling the country as well as serving his country, that he ultimately decided to call the area he grew up in home. Here.

Simon Herbert was born and raised in Northwestern Pennsylvania before moving towards Pittsburgh, a city known for its steel mills. It was there, after traveling the country as well as serving his country, that he ultimately decided to call the area he grew up in home. There.

In the very near future I will be spanning the gap between the two and making a one way, 1200 mile drive East, from Oklahoma City to Durham, NC. In a sense, bridging the gap from here to there.